Wednesday, October 15, 2008

MANIFESTO

I am for an art of space, time, touch, taste, see, smell, hear. 3-D, 4-D, 9-D art-work/ art play. Because-I-wanted-it-to-exist art. Tall-white socks art. Tattooed-eyebrows art. Pencil art. Chalk art. Bubble art. Wax art. Glitter art. Kid art. 

Art that feels like primal drums on the shaking, breathing floor beams of the second story. 

I'm for an art that chases tag-your-it and sings with swarming locusts and dances without bones like an orbiting windmill. I'm for an art that is picked up from a bench like a piece of cold, forgotten pizza and immediately devoured. I'm for an art that smells like armpits that smell like humans. 

Deep sun-salutation, child-pose, downward-dog breathing art. Alto art. Wood-grain art. Local art. Cheap art. Free art. Huge art. Smart art. Dumb art. Achey breaky heart art. 

Wind art. 

Wind art. 

Wind art. 

A little boy told me that crabbing would be more fun if it were war and the crabs had guns - I'm for that art. 

I am for an art that crumbles into a flakey, papery wad in the pockets of laundered jeans or blankets like the last spinning-seconds before sleep. I am for an art that tickles until you can't breath, like an over-zealous father. I am for an art that wrestles or flirts or analyzes handwriting in carnival booths. I am for an art that lies in your lap like a warm hand. 

Art that grows like an avocado stuck through with toothpicks in a water glass on the kitchen counter. Art that knows itself like the year you decide you're not a child. Sense-making art. Native symbols art. Combinations art. Letter art. Word art. Sentence art. Story art. 

Hard-to-eat art. Honeysuckle art. Walnut art. Seeded concord grape art. Hard-shell blue crab art with sticky yellow guts and feathery lungs and sweet white meat...art. 

I am for an art that is walked on like a welcome mat or scraped into snow like an ice rink. I am for an art that calls in the middle of the night. 

I am for an art that talks or mumbles or yawns or laughs like an unfurled ribbon of magnesium. 





Magic. 

No comments: